Trailers are indispensable to transfer heavy cargo from one place to another. There are many different types of trailers available – each with a set of features that makes it suitable certain kind of task:
- Flatbeds trailers
- Drop deck trailers
- Double drop trailers
- Lowboy trailers
- Enclosed cargo trailers
- Livestock trailer
Choosing the right trailer for your use depends on what you are transporting, and so its best is to understand thoroughly what the trailer is capable of before making the choice.
Understanding Lowboy Trailers, and their key features
Lowboy trailers are heavy duty haulers that are especially used for cargo that is very tall. Using a normal trailer with these height requirements, would mean that they may not have the highway clearances. That’s where these trailers come in handy. These have extra-low ground clearances enabling the tallest of cargo to be transported.
The following are the key features of lowboy trailers
- Low trailer bed height: They have a very low bed height enabling it to carry loads almost upto 12 feet tall. This is a unique feature of lowboys as others have a standard height of around 60-62 inches. Being so low ground ensures that equipment can be transferred with ease through all kinds of terrain – be it fields or highways
- Two drops: These trailers come with two drops in height to facilitate tall cargo. One near the gooseneck the other near the rear wheels.
- Heavy load carrying capacity: Lowboy trailers can carry loads upto 100 tons, making them perfect for large pieces of equipment like cranes.
The right trailer therefore must be chosen based on the actual requirement – type of cargo, weight of cargo, distance travelled and thereby extent of use. Other factors are the kind of terrain expected, and the ground clearance requirement.
The trailers today come in a wide range of colors and custom paint job – so you have the option to pick the one that appeals to you most.
Uses of Lowboy Trailer
They are designed to for easy loading and unloading of heavy cargo in all sorts of terrain. A number of options are available in terms of its size and weight capacity to suit various needs. Given the unique features of the lowboy trailer, they are extensively used in certain areas like:
- Construction: High-rise building construction sites need large equipment like bull dozers, cranes on site. Lowboy trailers are used to transport these safely to the location and back.
- Oilfields: Oilfieds have need large equipment like drill rigs to be transported in very rough terrain. Lowboys with their hardy build are well suited for all kinds of oilfields
- Farms: Farms need to move equipment like tractors around the fields or to nearby farms. These trailers can easily accommodate large and bulky machines and transport them
- Heavy equipment transportation: Lowboy trailers are helpful to transport any sort of heavy equipment within places like factories, mines, ports etc.
They are thus essential to have available wherever heavy duty large equipment is used. Without these trailers, moving the equipment would be next to impossible.